Sunday, December 7, 2008

Giving Thanks

I'm buying a house!

No, not that one!

Due to the current market slump, my mother can no longer afford to make the payments on her current house. She isn't broke, but would have to cash-out some undervalued stocks to keep making payments. So I'll be paying them instead for a while. Who knows how long. In return, I'll get a partial ownership and should get some money back when they eventually sell.

I never thought I'd need to do this, didn't know I'd ever be able to, and wasn't sure I would. But life is surprising. I now need to, can, and will.

Despite the grim news I see whenever I accidentally run across a news broadcast, I have lots to be thankful for. I still have a job in tough times. It pays well, is fairly secure, and I get to work on things that I enjoy. I get to live in a cool area, with lots of live music, and get to travel frequently.

I got to see some close friends that I don't see nearly often enough. P came down from the frozen North for a few days. I got to see Li-7 during her tour through with the dots. P's other half should be here soon, though he hasn't sent the details yet.

I got to spend a long weekend up in Mendocino with friends for the holiday. We rented the house pictured above. A considerable amount was consumed.

The weather was unseasonably warm and dry, so we could enjoy some hikes, and we got to see the American porcini in its natural habitat.

I wonder what I'll be thankful for next year....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hopefully in 2009 you will be grateful for the Smiths reunion tour that we see at the Independent.

Ed said...

It would be cool to have the Smiths re-unite for a tour. But the announcement I saw about that compared them to the Beatles. Come on! The Beatles were a bit before my time, but they clearly had a bigger influence and left a bigger musical legacy. They were the first to do so many things in pop music. What did the Smiths do first, apart from Marr's particular guitar style?